Many linux VPS users, running cpanel on their server have contacted us with the following error. Here are the steps on how you can correct it.
Subject: [ipcheck] Problems with dns setup on host.abc.com
IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
The hostname (host.abc.com) resolves to 22.214.171.124. It should resolve to
x.x.x.x. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the ‘A’
entry in zone file for the domain.
There are several ways to correct this problem, a few of which are mentioned below. The end result should be that the hostname of your VPS should resolve correctly to the VPS IP address.
1) Let us consider that the hostname of your VPS is host.abc.com and IP address of the VPS is x.x.x.x
Before starting, check the nameservers of the domain abc.com and make sure you are making the changes at the correct nameservers. If the domain abc.com is using your VPS nameservers itself, you can make the changes in your WHM. If the domain is using remote nameservers, you will have to contact the support team there to make the changes.
1) Login to WHM of your VPS -> DNS Functions -> Edit DNS Zone -> select the domain abc.com
2) Add an A record for host in the DNS zone of abc.com as follows
host 1000 IN A x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your VPS)
3) Save the DNS zone.
4) As an additional step, you can also do the following.
WHM -> DNS Functions -> Add an A Entry for your Hostname -> Enter the IP address of your VPS, say x.x.x.x in the text box and click ‘Add entry’
5) Once it is done, run the script /scripts/ipcheck and see if you are receiving the same error email again.
6) If the error still persists, it can sometimes be the propagation delay and you will have to wait a few more hours till the changes propagate.
7) The above should work. If no changes are seen, you may also add the following to the file /etc/hosts
8) Save the changes and close the file.